Dr Alistair Fraser, Department of Geography NUIM
Alistair Fraser completed his PhD in Geography at The Ohio State University. His research in Geography asks how people in rural spaces in multiple places deal with globalization. His dissertation research looked at South Africa’s land reform process, particularly as it was played out in northern Limpopo province. Materials from this research have been published in numerous academic journals. His subsequent research has considered changes in rural spaces in Ireland and he is currently working on a research project regarding rural Uganda: he has been a co-PI on a €1.5m multi-disciplinary research project led by DkIT in Ireland and funded by the Irish Higher Education Authority and Irish Aid. He supervises one Malawian PhD student whose work is concerned with adaptation to climate change in rural Uganda.
- PhD 2006. Department of Geography, The Ohio State University. Dissertation Title: “Geography and the Struggle for Land in South Africa: Land Restitution in Northern LimpopoProvince”.
- M.A. 2001. Department of Geography, The Ohio State University.
- B.A. Hons 1999. Department of Geography, University of Strathclyde.
- Human geography, especially the sub-disciplines of political and economic geography
- Land reform, development, and globalization (in South Africa and more generally)
- Political and economic dimensions of socio-spatial change in rural areas
Single-authored publications in international peer-reviewed journals:
- Fraser, A. (2011) ‘Nothing less than its eradication’? Ireland’s hunger task force and the production of hunger. Human Geography 4(3): 48-60.
- Fraser, A. (2010) The craft of scalar practices. Environment and Planning A.42(2): 332-346.
- Fraser, A. (2008) Guest editorial: Gaining ground: Emerging agrarian political geographies. Political Geography 27(7): 717-720.
- Fraser, A. (2008) Geography and land reform. Geographical Review 98(3): 309-321.
- Fraser, A. (2008) White farmers’ dealings with land reform in South Africa: Evidence from northern Limpopo province. TijdschriftvoorEconomische en SocialeGeografie 99(1): 24–36.
- Fraser, A. (2007) Land reform in South Africa and the colonial present. Social and Cultural Geography 8(6): 835-851.
- Fraser, A. (2007) Coded spatialities of fieldwork. Area 39(2): 242–245.
- Fraser, A. (2007) Hybridity Emergent: Geo-history, learning and land restitution in South Africa. Geoforum38(2): 299-311.
- Robbins P & Fraser, A. (2003) A forest of contradictions: Producing the landscapes of the Scottish Highlands. Antipode 35(1): 95-118