Biography: Fiona O’Brien is a graduate of Science in University College Dublin and went on to complete an MSc in Medical Genetics in the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK. She pursued her PhD research in gene therapy in the School of Pharmacy Trinity College Dublin. After completing her PhD she worked as Post-doctoral Research Fellow in Trinity College Dublin and for a number of years in the Pharmaceutical Industry. While in Industry she worked in the area of new and enhanced drug delivery technologies. Fiona was appointed lecturer in Pharmaceutics in the School of Pharmacy, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland in 2006 and is also the Program Director of Studies of the MSc program in Industrial Pharmaceutical Science.
1998 – 2002 PhD in Department of Pharmaceutics & Pharmaceutical Technology, Trinity College Dublin (PhD granted April 2004)
1997 – 1998 M.Sc. in Medical Genetics in the University of Newcastle, UK
1993-1997 B.Sc. (Hons) in Science (II-1) Molecular Genetics and Cell Biology in UniversityCollege, Dublin
- Alan Hibbitts, Nora Lieggi, Olive McCabe, Warren Thomas, James Barlow, 4, Fiona O’Brien, Sally-Ann Cryan. Screening of siRNA Nanoparticles for Delivery to Airway Epithelial Cells Using High Content Analysis”. Journal of Therapeutic Delivery *(submitted to April 2011)
- O’Brien F.S., Ubomba-Jaswa E., O’Dwyer A., Gabriel M.A., Issa S. , De Luca V., Brennan C., Polo-López I.M., Fernández-Ibáñez P., Fisher M.B., McGuigan K.G. A soluble titanium dioxide tablet formulation for photocatalytic enhancement of batch solar water disinfection (SODIS)”. Water Science and Technology: Water Supply. May 2011. (Under Review, Submitted Manuscript no. WS-EM11115)
- Efficacy of particle-based DNA delivery for vaccination of sheep against FMDV, Niborski V, Li Y, Brennan F, Lane M, Torche AM, Redmond M, Bonneau M, Riffault S, Stirling C, Hutchings G, Takamatsu H, Barnett P, Charely B, Schwatrz-Cornil I, Vaccine, 24, 2006, 7204 – 7213.
- Promoting the Oral Absorption of Drugs in Humans Using Gastro-Intestinal Permeation Enhancement Technology (GIPET) . Thomas W. Leonard, Edel O’Toole, Fiona Brennan, and David J. Brayden, Drug Delivery Technology, February 2006, Vol 6 No 2, 40 – 47.
- Influence of post-emulsification drying processes on the microencapsulation of Human Serum Albumin, Lane ME, Brennan FS, Corrigan OI, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 307, (1), 2006, 16 – 22.
- Comparison of post-emulsion freeze drying or spray drying processes for the microencapsulation of plasmid DNA, Lane ME, Brennan FS, Corrigan OI, Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 57, (7), 2005, 831 – 838.
- A DNA vaccination regime including protein boost and electroporation protects cattle against foot-and-mouth disease. V. Fowler, L. Robinson, B. Bankowski, S. Cox, S. Parida, C. Lawlor, D. Gibson, F. O’Brien,B. Ellefsen, D. Hannaman, H.-H. Takamatsu, P.V. BarnettAntiviral Research 94, 2012, 25–34