Dr. G. Honor Fagan is a senior lecturer in the Sociology Department and Dean of Graduate Studies at NUI Maynooth.She has previously researched and lectured in sociology in the US, Northern Ireland, South Africa and Britain. Her particular research interests have included the construction of political identities, gender and development, governance and environmental conflicts and the broad area of human security in a globalising context.Her research has fed into innovative teaching approaches and the development of international partnerships at third level.
- Globalization and Human Security: An Encyclopaedia; Volume 1 and 2. Praeger Security Press: USA, 2009 (co-edited).
- Civil Society and Conflict Resolution: The Case of Colombia Trocaire: Dublin. (2002)
- ‘Colombia in Crisis’ in Bulletin of Latin American Research, Volume 22, No. 1, (2003).
- E-Consultation: Evaluating Appropriate Technologies and Processes for Citizens’ Participation in Public Policy. HEA, Dublin (2006) (co-authored) http://www.e-consultation.org/files/ecrp_report.pdf
- Engendering Conflict; Women, War and Peace” in Munck and de Silva Eds. Post-modern Insurgency: Political Identity, Conflict and Conflict Resolution, Macmillan Press. 1999.
- Cultural Politics and Irish Early School Leavers; Constructing Political Identities (Critical Studies in Education and Culture Series, Edited by H. Giroux and P. Freire) Bergin and Garvey: USA, 1995.
- ‘Changing a Mindset: From Recognition of Qualifications Towards Embedding Ethnic Reflexivity and Translational Positionality’ Translocations, Vol.2, No.1 pp.134-152, 2007)
- “Cultural Politics and (Post) Development Paradigm(s)” in R. Munck and D. O’Hearn, Critical Development Theory: Contributions to a New Paradigm, Zed Press. 1999.
- “Gender, Culture and Development” in V. Tucker (Ed)Culture and Development, New Perspectives, Frank Cass. 1997.
- “Gender, Culture and Development: A South African Experience” in European Journal of Development Research (Special issue on Culture and Development edited by Vincent Tucker) (co-author) 1996.
- “Development Discourses: Conservative, Radical and Beyond” in P. Shirlow (Ed). Development Ireland: Contemporary Issues, Pluto Press, (Co-author with R. Munck) 1995.“
Relevant Funded Research
2008Programme of Strategic Cooperation, Irish Aid and HEA (Water is Life: Amazzi bulamu– DKIT led) €1.5 million
2007Programme of Strategic Cooperation, Irish Aid and HEA (Combat Diseases of Poverty Consortium) €1.44 million
2007Programme of Strategic Cooperation, Irish Aid and HEA Water- Sustaining Elements at Local Level- DKIT led) €10,000
2006E-Consultation Evaluation for Houses of the Oireachtas (PI) E58,997
2003 HEA North/South Research Programme ‘E-Consultation: Evaluating Appropriate Technologies and Processes for Citizen’s Participation in Public Policy’ €581,191 (NUIM: E165,330) (PI)